A termite is considered a pest because of the extensive damage caused by an infestation. In the U.S. the total value of all destruction is estimated to be around $5 billion dollars annually. Termites are wood-destroying organisms known as Detritivores. Meaning, they obtain nutrients vital their growth from organic compounds.
Unfortunately, all human structures are built from the components which termites seek as their primary food source. Simply, they eat the very products our homes and buildings are made from. If left untreated, the benefit to the ecosystem will be to reduce your dwelling into a reusable pile of organic dust. Termites require four things necessary to their survival: food, moisture, shelter, and temperature.
Termites are most closely related to roaches, not to ants like many people think. A colony can exist up to 45 feet below the earth’s surface, however most can be found at approximately seven to 15 feet. At maturity, a colony can number from several hundred to several million termites, which exploit food sources unavailable to any single insect acting alone.
Since termites are a constant threat to your home or building, here are some tips to reduce or prevent the destruction caused by this insect pest.
- Eliminate moisture problems by cleaning gutters and making sure water is properly diverted from your building.
- Remove food sources by keeping firewood away from your home, remove piles of debris, clear all stumps around the foundation.
- Remove excessive plant cover and mulch.
- Do not allow the wood on your home to meet the soil. Preferably, you should have four to six inches of foundation showing.
- Seal all entry points, especially around water, plumbing and utility lines.
When buying a home, termite damage and protection should always be a consideration. If you’re in St. Louis or the surrounding areas, let the termite professionals at Bugs by Brian® perform an inspection and issue a report citing potential hazards of current or future infestations and make recommendations to treat or repair existing conditions caused by termite activity.
If any damage or infestation is found, the costs of treatment or repair can be obtained prior to the sale and negotiated between the buyer and seller.
Call St. Louis pest control company Bugs by Brian® today at (636) 394-0101 to exterminate a termite infestation in your home or business.